Friday, November 28, 2008

My Granny and Grandpa

In April of 2006, my granny passed away. This Thanksgiving my Grandpa went to join her. Its hard to watch grandparents get old, but it has got me thinking of all the memories I have of them and all of the things I learned from them so I thought I'd write some down so I can remember.
Each summer, all of Granny and Grandpas grand kids would get a week to go stay at their house. I remember Grandpa waking me up in the mornings to go on walks with him and Pug. One morning I was laying in bed dreaming I was on a bridge that was shaking, when I opened my eyes, there was grandpa shaking my bed and laughing. I never asked him if I said something funny in my sleep, but he seemed pretty amused. So I hopped our of bed and got ready for Pugs morning walk. We would walk through a park with orange trees and grandpa would tell me how the whole town used to be full of orange fields. Then we'd stop so Pug could have a break and a breath mint.
When we got home Granny would have a hot breakfast ready. And she always had a project for us to work on like sewing or baking something. And she would always take pictures. That's must be why I am always taking pictures- I get that from my granny. What would she have done without a camera?
Other days grandpa would take us fishing or have me help in the yard. He would always pick an orange or tangelo for us to eat. I didn't like when he would pick grapefruits and eat them like oranges!
In the evenings I would sit outback with grandpa and watch airplanes and listen to a ball game on the radio until granny came out and said we should get inside. To this day when I hear a baseball game on the radio I remember those evenings with my grandpa. I found this page in one of my old scrapbooks. We would always have a picture of us with all the crafts we made at Granny's over the week. And look how little Pug is!
I will miss my granny and grandpa but know they are at rest in a better place and their journey in this life is over. Thanks for all you taught me and especially for the great heritage you left behind. I have one great daddy because of you two. Until we meet again.....

5 comments:

Sarah and Nathan said...

I enjoyed your memories too! I like how you talked about both Granny and Grandpa, we have numerous photos of us with crafts too:)

Jer & Di said...

Oh, you finally got me to cry. Thank you for sharing these memories. I haven't been able to do it myself as yet...but I will.

Kristen said...

I love those pictures.

Broderick Clan said...

Those are some great memories that you have. Grandparents are truly
special people. Those of us that have had them are very fortunate.I'm sure yours will be missed.

Stinebaugh Family said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa. I love hearing your memeories and I am glad you took the time to write them down. I know that you will miss them but how wonderful they are together again.