Monday, November 1, 2010

The Pumpkin Patch

The Fall here in Washington has been very beautiful.  Its almost made fall my favorite season, because the spring was so rainy.  But every sunny day I find myself enjoying it, with a hint of apprehension, knowing that the rain may be here tomorrow and I may not see the sun again for a long, long time.
That's how all my kids made it to the pumpkin patch in the middle of a school day.
Our 'music class group' meets every Tuesday, and this day we had all planned to go to the pumpkin patch for a field trip.  I looked at the weather and it was going to be nice and sunny.  The weekend forecast called for rain, so if I was going to the pumpkin patch it was going to be on Tuesday.  I told my big kids they had an appointment, and picked them up early.
We had a great pumpkin patch in Nebraska that we went to for 3 years, and since I was missing it, I needed a new tradition.  I think this place was pretty fun- and we had a good sunny fall day at our appointment.
The kids started in a hay maze!

My boys are getting so big-
And somehow- so are my girls!

Then we were off to feed the animals.

Next stop the hay tower.
There were lots of tunnels to crawl through too.


Umm... some of my big kids' friends friends have siblings that go to our music class.
Their friends had appointments that day too. 
Trying to get a big group shot of our group was pretty funny- I thought it was a good picture from the kids point of view- they must have felt like rock stars:

Here's our music class grew and the older siblings who had to miss school that afternoon for their appointments.

Then we took the tractor ride to the pumpkin patch.
We were given instructions that the kids had to pick a pumpkin they could carry. 
Lance would pick up a pumpkin and say 'too heby" and try another little on.  Again, "too heby" and kept going until he had one about the size of a ball, so he could not only carry it, but throw it if he wanted.

Allie also thought lighter was better.  This is not the one she ended up with.

Dylan, on the other hand, wanted the heaviest one he could carry.

And makayla seemed to be the pickiest this year- but was the happiest when she found the 'perfect' one!


Then we were off to the pumpkin washing station and off!  It was a fun new fall memory.

Each year we cherish the ones before, and look forward to the ones in the future.
I'm glad for each day and the chance I have to build more memories.

2 comments:

Jer & Di said...

What a great, fun day. I think those appointments are by far, the BEST!

McAllister Family said...

I LOVE the fall in the Northwest! So beautiful! Your kids are getting so big! They are so beautiful! We miss you guys!