Friday, May 1, 2009

Happy May Day

I don't know why I really love May Day.
Maybe it's because its a new holiday to me- I never celebrated it until we moved to Nebraska.
Maybe it's because it is celebrating spring (and sunshine)- my favorite season.
Maybe it's because my kids love to door bell ditch treats on all our neighbors doors.
Maybe it's because I can watch kids running all over the neighborhood delivering their May Day treats. The kids that have been hibernating inside throughout the long cold winter.
Maybe it's because everyone just seems to smile and say happy may day all day...

I just think it's a great holiday and I know we'll take it with us wherever we go next...The kids would giggle and run to the door every time we heard a door bell- look at all those treats! We sure have some fun neighbors.
We made our May Day baskets this year. Last year Lance was just a week old and I didn't know about it. I promised the kids we'd make baskets this year. (Most 'baskets' are cups filled with popcorn and candy- we tied ribbon handles on ours).

I was holding a May Day basket trying to get a picture of Lance- he just wanted the treats!
Happy May Day- we're half way through spring- that means summer is quickly approaching!



4 comments:

Jer & Di said...

Cute Cute Cute. Happy May Day to you!

Colleen and Justin said...

We, too, learned about May Day while living in Nebraska. This year our kids wanted to bring it to Utah, so we made dozens of paper cups filled with popcorn and candy and took them around to our neighbors (with a note explaining what the heck it was, of course). The kids had a blast, but when we were tucking them in that night they asked, "How come no one brought us May Day baskets?" I guess I neglected to prepare them for that let down.

Sarah and Nathan said...

What a fun idea, we don't celebrate that here, but looks like fun! Cute kids!

Julie said...

We made May Day baskets every year in Elementary school growing up in Illinois. It must be a midwest thing. ;) I remember popcorn being the main filler too, I am glad your kids enjoy it! It is a fun thing.