Wednesday, August 4, 2010

In memory of Granny

Every summer when I was a kid, I would go spend a week at my granny and grandpas house. I would get up early and go for walks with Grandpa and his dog, Pug.  We'd come home to a big breakfast and then spend the day making crafts, cooking, or going fishing.  Every time I'd finish a craft or some baking, granny would take a picture.  Each time I'd go to granny's I'd look through her photo albums and see pictures of all the cousins who had been to visit, and all the crafts and baking granny had done.  There were always pictures of their harvest from the garden, pies granny had made, or fish grandpa had caught.

So this summer as we've been gathering the many berries of the northwest, I stopped to take a picture, just like granny!
We've picked a lot of berries this summer!  We picked 17 lbs of strawberries, and 10 lbs of raspberries.  I made lots of freezer jam, and we put a lot in the freezer and have enjoyed them in smoothies and with breakfast.  Now the blackberries are ripe, and wild all over town.  The kids like to go gather and bring back bowls full.  Then we find some things to do with them.

I made a blackberry pie and a yummy fruit pizza.  The ribs had nothing to do with the berries, but we have loved having Bar B Que this summer, and those turned out great the night before.  Then we had them the next day cold and thought they were even better!
Dylan's even spent a couple of days selling blackberries with his cousins too!

2 comments:

Jer & Di said...

Awesome Amy. Aren't memories the best, and now you are making some withyour kids...just priceless!

McAllister Family said...

Picking berries was one of our favorite things to do in Oregon! So fun! I'm impressed with all the fancy things you made with them Amy!