Monday, August 30, 2010

My Hood To Coast experience

Theres this huge relay race, "the Mother of All Relays". It starts on Mt. Hood, and runs through to Seaside Oregon.  Its made of a 12 person team, split into 2 vans with 6 people in each.  They each take 3 legs of the run- through the day and night. There are over 1000 teams.  It goes 197 miles. The first teams start Friday morning, with teams taking off throughout the day until Friday night.
Living in cars and exchange points along the road.  You sleep a little, you eat a little, you seem to run a lot.  You follow the trains of decorated vans along the road, and watch runners with crazy outfits, sometimes lit up with flashers and headlamps.  You climb in your car to hit the next drop off- a runners out, another in, and you're off again. You run and you run til you hit the beach- and then, surrounded by crowds of what you must think are insane people, but you've somehow lined yourself up with them- you can now say you've run  Hood To Coast. 
Here's how it went for me:
I was put in Van #2, so I left with my sister in laws Lindsey and Jen to meet up in Gresham.
I was the last leg, so I didn't have to run until that night.  Our team had a start time of 12:45pm.
We arrived at the first major exchange point.  Van one was on there way, Ariane was running their last leg of the race.  It was a pretty big party going on in the Fred Meyer parking lot!

Soon, we saw Ariane with her shades flying down the hill, and met our first leg of the race- Brad!
The volunteers would yell out the team # coming so when you hear 6-5-3! You knew to jump in and be ready.

As the night began to set, Lindsey was geared up for her first run!
Our van was getting ready- team 'In it for the Burn!"

Lindsey and I were so busy talking, we didn't see Jen racing in!  She went FAST!
Luckily, we heard, 6-5-3!, and Lindz jumped in to take off!

After Lindsey, Bryce ran, and when it got to me it was almost 10:00.  I had a long, dark, lonely 6.4 miles.  I saw three runners that I passed, and a few bikers on the trail.  Luckily there were some volunteers on the roads telling me when I needed to turn, but it was pretty scary and desolate along the river!  I was pumped to tun a corner and recognize OMSI, then a few blocks away our major exchange point where van #1 was ready to go again!
Ariane, me, Sara, Jen and Lindz!
Now the next few hours of the race were a blur for me.
I hoped in the van after my run, and sent some text messages to Quinn telling him how it was going.  We drove to St. Helens. Oregon and Saras grandparents let us crash at there place for a couple of hours.  I walked in and felt kinda crummy, but thought I should try and get some protein in me.  I drank some chocolate milk and tried to make myself sleep for a bit, but just laid there tossing and turning until 1:15 when we had to take off again!  We went to meet Van #1 where they were finishing, and I went and found a quiet tree to puke by.
Then we climbed back in the car and I think we were on some pretty windy, bumpy, dusty,  logging roads.  I felt HORRIBLE.  Every once in a while I would just open the door and throw up again.  I'd try and nibble on a bagel, but it would come right back up. YUCK.  I hate throwing up!  I just wanted to be anywhere but in that van!  I heard my team mates saying someone would run for me.  This was my rated 'Easy' leg. 4.1 flat miles on pavement.  Andy ran for me, and we drove to our next major exchange point.  I climbed out, found a Honey Bucket, then put the sleeping bag out on the field.  An hour and a half later I could walk alright!
I was going to finish this race if I had to crawl.

Andy running his 4th leg!  And Lindz- loving the car rides!
The view of an exchange point from in our car.

Jen came in on her last hard leg, and handed off to Lindz!
Now its almost noon on saturday.

Yep- puke on the pants.

Lindsey finished and Bryce was off for his 7 miles stretch.  I was off to meet him at my last exchange!
Then I had 5.23 miles to the beach.  I didn't have much energy- but loved that there were so many people on the run.  I think I passed 11 people, and got passed by at least 9 more.  There were some fast runners out there!
As I was coming down the boardwalk, I heard my name and saw the huge Draper gang there.  I got pretty emotional- it had been a long night, and I was so relieved to be finishing!  I ran in, and found my team, then we ran across the 'unofficial' finish together!



Can you believe Sara ran all 3 legs a week after her surgery?
Look at our cheering  crew!

Team 653- 'In it for the Burn' finishes! 27 hours and 11 minutes!
Andy, Jen, Ariane, Bryce, Dave, Grant,Gretchen, Sara, Brad, Lindsey, Rick and Amy


My #1 fans!!!  Love them tons!
Makayla watched the kids almost every morning this summer so I could go running.  I was glad they were there to see me finish.

So- I made it. I experienced Hood to Coast. I told them I would never do it again, but I know I need to so I can show myself I can do it, and not get sick, and finish all 3 legs.  So, until then, we'll see what happens...

2 comments:

Tanya said...

WOW! That's all I have to say. =) XO!

Anonymous said...

I got tired just reading about it.
Sounds like it was a great experience.
Michelle